Thursday, February 24, 2011

Capture a Feeling...


I touched on this in my last post, but I really wish there was a true way of capturing my feelings that was powerful enough to remind me the next time I'm thinking of acting on my impulses.

Case in point, when I go to sushi I focus on how good it sounds and have a euphoric feeling when I start eating it. However, my feelings start to spiral into guilt and shame when I think of the money and calories I have expended for a fleeting event (and trust me, when I eat sushi it's an event!) that makes me feel so low. (Thank you carbs).

To help capture this feeling, I have tried journaling, but when I'm making rash decisions I don't really go back and read how awful things made me feel, all of my previous experiences are thrown out the window.

Looking at pictures can help, but it also seems to spur a hopelessness feeling in me that eggs me on in my poor decisions. I haven't tried video yet, but I think I might try that next time.

Just like emotions are formed based off of many factors, maybe my ultimate aid will be a combination of self-worth, will power, and these verbal and written documentation of my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment